GPS Network Services
The CSDS RTN is California’s Leading GNSS Real-Time Network
What is the CSDS RTN?
The California Surveying and Drafting Supply Real-Time Network (CSDS RTN) is a dynamic GNSS Real-Time Kinematic network that provides more reliability, more coverage, and more accuracy than traditional single-base networks. The CSDS RTN provides RTK & GLONASS corrections to your equipment in the field, enabling you to achieve up to 1 centimeter accuracy. With no need for a station or rover radio, CSDS RTN users are able to reduce their hardware costs by up to 50% while achieving the same or better level of accuracy in their precision surveying & mapping applications.
How does the CSDS RTN work?
Each rover is equipped with a cellular internet connection an applicable data plan that connects to the CSVSN’s Virtual Reference System to acquire its GNSS correction signal. On the network side, the CSDS RTN utilizes a fully redundant server farm with Trimble Integrity Manager software that monitors 34 Reference Stations across California. This helps ensure accuracy and availability regardless of power outages, loss of reference stations, reference station movement due to earthquakes, etc. With the network being fully redundant and constantly monitored, it ensures you won’t lose signal when you need it most.
What areas does the CSDS RTN cover?
The CSDS RTN is available from Redding to Bakersfield (see coverage map). Currently, the available coverage area is 93,000 square miles, making the CSDS RTN California’s largest GNSS network.
What products does the CSDS RTN work with?
The CSDS RTN works with virtually all major surveying and GIS/GPS products.
How can I utilize the CSDS RTN?
CSDS RTN subscriptions are sold by California Surveying & Drafting Supply. Complete our online form to request a free trial subscription or more information. You may also contact your local CSDS Surveying or Mapping sales representative.
One Time Setup Fee of $250
- The One Time Setup Fee covers
- A license for the user to access the system
- Initial configuration of user’s equipment
- Initial User System Orientation
Monthly Access Fee
- $500 per month
- Trimble Users receive a 20% Discount ($100 per user) Monthly fee – $400 per user
- Multiple User Discount (3 or more users) as low as $320 per user
Daily Access Fee
- $70 per day
DECIMETER-LEVEL MAPPING CORRECTION SERVICES**
License & Set-Up
Multi-User Discount* (3 or more users)
*Contact your CSDS rep regarding multi-user discounts.
**Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details regarding centimeter level accuracy
CSDS RTN Adjustment as of November 24, 2017
- With our RTN spanning multiple tectonic plates in Northern California (that move in different directions at varying velocities), CSDS performs occasional adjustments to our RTN network in order to address any consequent movement of our reference stations.
- This is to advise you that the current IP address you are using (188.8.131.52) will reflect our upcoming, new adjustment.
- The current (previous adjustment) correction source will be moved to a new IP address: 184.108.40.206. This source will be available until the May 29, 2018.
- The correction source that is currently broadcasting on 220.127.116.11 will no longer be available.
- Your current username and password settings will give you access to the new and previous positional information. If you need help with this please call CSDS (916.344.0232) and ask for Support.
- We’ve also included some reminders and tips below that will allow you to achieve the highest precision and accuracy prior to and after this adjustment.
Be sure that you have control available to check and, if necessary, recalibrate to after this upcoming adjustment.
Please ensure your crews are using the correct mountpoint for the subnet they are working in. If they choose one of the Coastal mountpoints but they are working in the Valley subnet and vice-versa, they can see 2-3 tenths in error on the positions they are receiving. If you are concerned about this as having occurred, you can: Review Job Settings > Ntrip Data Source. The Ntrip sources that you have connected to will be listed there.
Be sure you have control available to check and, if necessary, recalibrate to after our adjustment.
When connecting to the new correction source servers (18.104.22.168) you will notice a change in the mountpoints you are connecting to. The new mountpoints will be:
The existing mountpoints will be available on the old correction source server (22.214.171.124):
*Leica Users – For those of you that are using the custom Leica mountpoints, those will be available to you on either system. Use the IP address you want to connect to on the previously established 5010 port.
If you will be using both correction sources, understand that there will be consequences for choosing the wrong source for the job you are working on. There will be coordinate differences and CSDS will not be liable for anyone performing work using the wrong source. Control using the current reference frame must be established or available in order to calibrate back onto existing projects once our adjustment has been performed. All jobs where you are using the current positions will need a site calibration once the adjustment is in place.
For the best results, always use best practices
As always, proper survey practices are required when using the RTN. All jobs need to have a site calibration performed. This ensures that control and coordinates are relative to your job site. In addition to site calibrations, checks should be performed before starting and ending your survey each day. If you want to use the new, more accurate correction source for your current job, you will need to perform a site calibration.More information on Site Calibrations:
If you have any questions, please direct them to your CSDS Sales Representative or contact our Support Department at 916.344.0232.
We believe you will be very satisfied with the precisions of the split networks and updated adjustment to the CSDS RTN’s reference frame.
System Administrator, CSDS RTN
REQUEST TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION
To request a trial subscription, or for more information, please complete and submit the form below. CSDS offers California-based businesses a 5-day free trial subscription to the CSDS RTN.